|PURPOSE OF POSITION
Assist WIC Program professionals in clinic as needed teaching classes. Educate participants and community on the advantages of breastfeeding and management of normal breastfeeding experience. Responsible for counseling breastfeeding and pregnant mothers in WIC waiting area, by telephone, and in the hospital. Maintain inventory, timesheets and other records associated with breastfeeding. Flexible in work schedule therefore may be asked to work outside regular clinic hours and clinic facility. Role model breastfeeding by participating in the Bring Baby to Work program, shall be allowed to bring breastfeeding infant less than 1 year of age to work.
• Works primarily in waiting room where WIC Participants are waiting for services.
• Provides up to date information and promotes breastfeeding among peers.
• Initiates breastfeeding contacts with pregnant WIC Participants and gathers information.
• Counsels pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.
• Supports women during a normal breastfeeding experience.
• Identifies breastfeeding experiences that are not the norm and makes appropriate referrals.
• Records numbers of participants counseled for evaluation purposes by maintaining Contact Forms on breastfeeding and pregnant mothers.
• Submit Contact Forms and phone call reports to the Administrative Office as end of the month reports.
• Acts as a positive role model, exhibiting good parenting skills as well as breastfeeding skills.
• Assist BFPC Coordinator in training BFPC’s.
• Maintains daily breastfeeding equipment inventory at clinic site.
• Assists with ordering necessary breastfeeding equipment & supplies.
• Assist with retrieval and dissemination of breast pumps.
• Provides breastfeeding support and education in the community.
• Attends mandatory monthly BFPC Staff Meeting in Tyler; one Friday per month.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Skills: Bilingual (English/Spanish) reading, writing, and speaking skills preferred.
Experience: Must have successfully breastfed at least one baby and must have been a WIC Participant at one time.
NORTHEAST TEXAS PUBLIC HEALTH DISTRICT DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
815 N. BROADWAY, TYLER, TX 75802
(903)535-0024 FAX (903)535-0052
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER